1. Domestic aquaculture and fisheries
1.1. Seed breeding and production
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has recognized 12 new varieties, 65 technical advances and 20 patents. Many programs have selected fish and shrimp varieties focusing on two main traits, growth and high survival rate, thereby creating high-quality breeds for farming to improve productivity and efficiency for farmers, specifically:
- Pangasius breeding program to improve growth.
- Pangasius varieties selection program resistant to diseases.
- Oreochromis sp breeding program.
- Oreochromis niloticus breeding program.
- Giant tiger prawn selection program.
- Giant river prawn selection program.
- Technological process of microalgae biomass farming.
- The process of raising pangasius from powder to flavour in a cement tank, achieving a high survival rate, disease-free breeders meeting industry standards.
1.2. Aquaculture technology
In the 2016-2020 period, through projects at all levels, several aquaculture technologies processes for production, including:
- Technical process of shrimp farming and rice cultivation with high and stable yield in the shrimp-rice rotation model.
- Technological process of brackish water shrimp farming with high yield, lower cost, improved quality and sustainable development.
- The process of rational use of antibiotics in the prevention and treatment of Acute Hepatopancreatic Necrosis Syndrome on brackish cultured shrimp.
- Technological process of intensive farming of white shrimp to control white Spot Disease and Acute Hepatopancreatic Necrosis Syndrome at farm scale.
- Sustainable clam farming model in the Mekong Delta with integrated solutions and improved production efficiency.
- The automatic environmental monitoring system in the white shrimp farming model in the Mekong Delta.
1.3. Diseases and environment
Some tasks achieved positive results such as:
- Model of disease prevention on clam cultured in Nam Dinh and Ben Tre with solutions to limit the mass mortality of clams.
- Research on the causative agent of the whitetail disease, tail rot on pangasius and solutions to prevent these diseases.
- Antibiotic preparations Vibrio spp cause acute Acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease in giant tiger shrimp and white shrimp.
- Research on the application of herbal extracts in the prevention of bacterial and bacterial infections in brackish water shrimp.
- Research on white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) carriers causing disease in shrimp and propose control measures.
- Research, analyze and provide a scientific basis for determining the cause of abnormal seafood deaths in 04 central provinces.
1.4. Nutrition and food
Some products are research results of topics and projects related to nutrition and food that have been developed in the period 2016-2020, including:
- Enzyme technology to produce collagen from pangasius skin.
- Technology to produce large molecular size β-Glucan to supplement in aquaculture feed.
- Soybean meal processing technology from the dairy industry as raw materials to produce feed for Pangasianodon hypophthalmus and Oreochromis niloticus.
- Research to produce high-quality feed to improve farming efficiency and quality of pangasius fillet.
1.5. Domestic aquaculture resources management, exploitation, protection and climate change affect mitigation
- Implemented several research projects in the field of domestic aquaculture resources and initially achieved positive results.
- Built a database to serve the assessment of changes in domestic fisheries in the Mekong Delta region.
- Formed an effective production organization method for a group of small farmers and fishermen through co-management in fishing and aquaculture.
2.1. Marine resources and fisheries
- Assessed and announced the reserves of marine resources in the sea.
- Synchronized, standardized, analyzed, identified and selected a set of criteria for classifying marine areas according to ecological function.
- Strengthened cooperation with WWF Vietnam.
- Received and carried out CITES assessment for Customs and Enterprises.
2.2. Offshore fishing grounds forecasting
- Granted a patent for a technological process for forecasting short-term offshore fishing grounds.
- Successfully applied Habitat Suitability Index (HSI) model to forecast fishing ground for small pelagic fish in the sea of Vietnam.
2.3. Marine biodiversity and conservation
- Assessed biodiversity and marine resources in 19 coastal islands.
- Evaluated the effectiveness of implementation, operation, and management in some marine conservation areas.
- Developed and completed the process of rescue and re-release of Vietnamese sea turtles.
2.4. Marine environmental monitoring and warning
- Assessed and determined the causes of marine environmental incidents.
- Evaluated the source and level of Cd and Hg infection in feather clams, silk clams and fan scallops.
- Established a model of wastewater treatment for jellyfish processing with a capacity of 10 m3/day.
2.5. Fishing technology
- Researched and proposed a square mesh device model.
- Successfully transferred hydraulic winch system for offshore fishing.
- Researched and successfully applied hydraulic winch system for bottom gillnet fishing offshore.
- Applied LED technology for ink shooting.
- Assessed the current status of using fishing gear, equipment for fishing and product preservation.
2.6. Seafood preservation and processing technology
- Researched, improved and perfected advanced technology and equipment to preserve seafood on fishing vessels.
- Initially developed a set of criteria for assessing product quality loss on fishing vessels for 11 species.
- Successfully applied biotechnology in improving and improving the quality of traditional products.
2.7. Marine production and farming
- Preserved 8 genetic resources of marine species with economic value, precious and rare.
- Researched and perfected the technology, successfully transferred the production technology of the nine-hole abalone species on a commercial scale.
- Successfully researched and built a model of growing grape seaweed and cartilaginous seaweed.