Within the framework of the regional project "Network for Agriculture and Rural Development Policy Research and Consultancy for the Countries of the Mekong Sub-Region" (NARDT) funded by IFAD, the Institute of Policy and Strategy for Development Agriculture and Rural Development organized a regional workshop on methods for the upcoming data collection survey of research groups in different countries as well as specific plans for implementing activities of research on change models. innovation in agriculture and rural development in some countries in the Mekong sub-region. The workshop was chaired by Dr. Tran Cong Thang, Director of the Institute of Policy and Strategy for Rural Development, NARDT Project Director.
Dr. Truong Thi Thu Trang, Director of the Center for Agricultural Policy, IPSARD, presented the research methodology
About the background
Vietnam's doi moi policy has created favorable conditions for the agricultural sector to have many innovations in recent years. Many innovation models have had great spillover effects on localities and the agriculture and rural development sector.
In Vietnam, the model of the assembly hall in Dong Thap province has built up a form of collective cooperation between farmers and other partners to develop a variety of products such as ornamental plants, fruit trees, and processing plants. The transformation of agricultural products or the model of forest land allocation and forest allocation with the participation of people has accelerated the progress of forest allocation to people to ensure sustainable forest development is one of the many innovative models in agriculture. carried out locally.
Localities have very diverse models from production organization to supply-demand connection, from institutions to branding, from science and technology to distribution systems. In particular, there are many innovative models implemented through development programs of international donor organizations such as IFAD, FAO, ACIAR, etc., which have new approaches to the participation of the people.
However, for these innovation models to be widely disseminated and especially institutionalized through local policies and guidelines, it is a long and difficult process due to obstacles in practical conditions. presently.
Therefore, the study of these models can provide the causes of success as well as problems to be solved in order to apply them to the practice of countries as well as help policy makers to ways to improve agricultural and rural development policies in the coming time.
The objectives of the study are:
The objective of this study is to review recent innovation models in agriculture and rural development with lessons learned for future policy improvement.
About the data collection method
• Collect information about innovation models in localities and through official dispatches so that units can list innovation models being implemented with specific contents such as model names. model, implementation period from which year, scope of application: location, beneficiaries, main successes, etc.
• Based on the information about the models collected from the above activities, synthesize and preliminary analysis to select the typical models representing the innovation of the industry to conduct in-depth survey.
• Conduct an in-depth survey of at least 20 models to provide lessons learned as well as assess the expansion conditions and possible risks as well as the model's contributions to the main improvement. book
• How to conduct a survey:
• Collecting information about innovation models in localities, programs and projects through official dispatch so that the units can make statistics of the innovation models being implemented with specific contents. may include the following details:
- Model name
- What year is the implementation period?
- Scope of application: area, beneficiaries
- Owner of the model, contact phone...
- Going to reality
- Great successes, etc.
Case study 20-30 typical innovation models from agriculture, forestry and fishery to specific fields of production organization, application of science and technology and technology, value chain development, improve institutions, policies, rural finance, etc.
On the basis of information about the models collected from the above activities, synthesize and preliminary analysis to select typical models, representing the innovation of the industry to conduct in-depth surveys.
Conduct in-depth surveys at the models to draw lessons learned as well as assess the expansion conditions and possible risks as well as the model's contribution to policy improvement.
Build a report on each innovation model
Promoting innovative models in the mass media: through the NARDT Project website and the mass media
- Prepare hardware and software for posting information and models
- Post research results as well as articles, information about the model